Understory and Ornamental Trees
UNDERSTORY AND ORNAMENTAL TREES (approx. 400 sq. ft. of canopy at maturity): Understory trees generally reach a diameter-at-breast-height (dbh) of <=15 inches and a height of less than or equal to 30 feet at maturity. Per tree ordinance in Atlanta, GA, the spacing requirement is a minimum of 15 feet on center, between both existing and replacement trees. Recompense credit is permitted for these trees only where area conditions don't permit the planting of overstory or mid-canopy trees and is based on 15 feet spacing.
- *Chinquapin, Allegheny Castanea pumila
- *Crabapple, Southern Malus angustifolia
- *Dogwood, Flowering Cornus florida
- Dogwood, Kousa Cornus kousa
- *Dogwood, Swamp Cornus stricta
- Japanese maple Acer palmatum cvs, (non-dwarf cultivars)
- Magnolia, Japanese Magnolia x soulangiana
- *Bigleaf Magnolia Magnolia macrophylla
- *Maple, Amur Acer ginnala
- *Maple, Trident Acer buergeranum
- *Redbud, Eastern Cercis Canadensis
- *Sassafras Sassafras albidum
- *Silverbell Halesia Carolina L. (prefers moist areas)
- *Sourwood Oxydendrum arboreum
- *Serviceberry Amelanchier arborea
- *Witchhazel Hamamelis virginiana L.
* Asterisk denotes that the tree is native to the Piedmont region of Georgia (which includes Atlanta).